Physical Activity and Public Health Specialist Certificate Course
The field of physical activity is a critical component in public health. The Physical Activity Alliance (PAA) has developed, in partnership with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the recommended essential competencies for staff assigned to physical activity efforts that will lead to improved public health. The set has been revised and expanded, in partnership with the American College of Sports Medicine® (ACSM), for the Physical Activity in Public Health Specialist (PAPHS) certification, which calls them Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs). A competent physical activity practitioner should be in a position to review and provide advice on all physical activity initiatives to ensure they are consistent, based on best-available evidence, coordinated with each other and likely to be effective. Bolded Competency Areas are listed first, followed by the two-digit Core Competencies. Under each Core Competency are the associated three-digit KSAs.
At the completion of this certificate, participants will be able to do the following:
- Understand how the emergence of the new field of physical activity and public health has occurred where the disciplines of public health and kinesiology overlap.
- Understand and be able to explain the health effects (and risks) of physical activity on chronic conditions, including cardiorespiratory and metabolic diseases, overweight and obesity, musculoskeletal disorders, functional health, cancers, and mental health.
- Understand and be able to explain the adverse effects of physical activity.
- Understand and explain common testing methods, evidence for the benefits of physical activity and recommendations for physical activity promotion for populations.
- Understand, plan, and develop and evaluate evidence-based strategies for increasing physical activity, including informational, behavioral and social, and environmental and policy approaches
All course content will be presented to you electronically upon completion of your purchase. This includes all audio powerpoints, quizzes and certificates (certificates awarded upon successful completion of the quizzes).
This course expires one year (365 days) from the date of purchase. You must complete all of the course content prior to the expiration date. ACSM will not offer refunds, transfers, or course credits for uncompleted courses prior to their expiration date, or for duplicate purchases. ACSM does not allow substitutions, refunds or credits for this course.
For questions related to your online CEC courses or purchases, email email@example.com.
Join ACSM and save up to 50% on select CEC quizzes by contacting our membership department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Membership dues updates may take a minimum of 24 hrs. to be reflected in your account.
Discounted member price:
You could save