IPE 2022 | COVID-19 and Cardiovascular Health in Athletes and Highly Active People
John Quindry; Tracy Baynard; Jonathan Kim; Benjamin Levine; Meagan Wasfy
This symposium features three expert physician scientists providing clinical and research insights into the emergent topic of COVID-19 and cardiovascular health in athletes and highly active people.
- Kim provides evidence that post-COVID-19 return-to-play guidelines largely follow existing guidelines for illnesses with cardiovascular involvement (e.g., myocarditis, other viruses);
- Levine provides evidence that many cardiovascular facets of long-haul COVID parallel unrelated conditions with an autonomic component (e.g., postural orthostatic tachycardic syndrome); and
- Wasfy provides an overview of new findings about myocarditis and COVID-19 infection. These findings indicate that existing criteria for evaluating cardiac recovery apply to post-COVID-19 patients, and that mRNA vaccine-triggered incidents of myocarditis are rare, albeit more likely in males.
While COVID-19 has proved to be a once-in-a-lifetime viral pandemic, treatment, evaluation and recovery following cardiovascular involvement are generally similar to patients recovering from non-COVID-19 illnesses.
- Learn about return-to-play recommendations in post-COVID-19 patients;
- Learn about COVID-19-related myocarditis following both viral infection and mRNA vaccination; and
- Gain an understanding about the parallels between cardiac involvement during and following a protracted COVID-19 infection and related complications that feature autonomic disturbances to the cardiovascular system.
This course includes an online video from ACSM’s Integrative Physiology of Exercise Conference and corresponding online evaluations. All course content will be presented to you electronically after your purchase. To earn your CECs, you must view the course content and complete the evaluation.
Learners must complete this course bundle within 365 days of the date of purchase. ACSM will not offer refunds, transfers or course credits for uncompleted courses prior to their expiration date.
ACSM does not allow substitutions, refunds or credits for this course.
For questions related to your online CEC courses or purchases, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join ACSM and save 50% on CEC courses by contacting our membership department at email@example.com. Membership dues and status updates may take a minimum of 24 hrs. to be reflected in your account.
Discounted member price:
You could save