Wellcoaches: Behavior Change Agent
While Health and Wellness Coaches partner with clients seeking self-directed and lasting changes, we can each improve our relationships at work, and a home, by shifting just a few key behaviors. Based on the most important concepts in Wellcoaches Core Coach Training, this abbreviated course is designed for the student who does not intend to become a Coach but acknowledges a need to shift the way that they interact with others. This 5.5 hour e-course provides practical examples, based in science, for cultivating connection, autonomy, motivation, positivity, compassion and confidence.
Viewpoints presented in this course reflect opinions of the presenter and Wellcoaches and do not reflect positions or policies of ACSM.
Students will gain an understanding of the underlying forces of positive human behavior change and the skills to connect with other by honoring autonomy, expressing compassion, generating positivity, and uncovering motivation to build confidence for change.
Lesson 1- Cultivate Connect
- List the differences between the expert approach and the coach approach
- Describe the impact of mindfulness on presence
- Name ways to mindfully prepare for a conversation
- Name ways to be mindfully present during a conversation through being skills
Lesson 2- Cultivate Autonomy
- Identify the various types of reflections and describe their purpose.
- Demonstrate open-ended inquiry and describe its purpose.
- Differentiate between closed and open inquiry.
- Connect mindfulness to the act of mindful listening.
- Describe how to provide information in a coach-like manner.
Lesson 3- Cultivate Self Compassion
- Identify ways that providers, as experts, undermine trust and diminish collaboration.
- Distinguish between empathy and pity.
- Describe the role of compassion and its benefits.
- Define self-compassion and its role in positive health behaviors.
Lesson 4- Cultivate Positivity
- Name the benefits of positive emotions to health behaviors and outcomes.
- Identify strategies for building positive emotions with patients.
- Describe tools for integrating strengths into planning conversations.
Lesson 5- Cultivate Motivation
- Define autonomous motivation.
- Identify ways that the expert approach in healthcare can undermine autonomy.
- Describe ways to support a patient in identifying underlying motivation for positive change.
Lesson 6-Cultivate Confidence
- Identify strategies for supporting readiness and confidence rather than building resistance
- Explore the decisional balance tool and its usefulness
- Define the stages of readiness and strategies for each
Michael Scholtz bio:
Michael is co-author of the successful Rodale book: Coach Yourself Thin, certified by the American College of Sports Medicine, American Council on Exercise, National Strength and Conditioning Association, and USA Track and Field. He worked at the Duke University Diet and Fitness Center from 1991 to 2001, including 3 years as fitness director. Michael co-founded NOVO Wellness in 2001 and has since helped thousands lose weight and keep it off through NOVO programs and consulting services.
This course includes online videos from an ACSM Industry Partner along with PowerPoint slides and a corresponding online quiz.
All course content will be presented to you electronically upon completion of your purchase. This includes all videos, quizzes, and certificates (certificates awarded upon successful completion of the quizzes).
No substitutions will be allowed for this CEC course.
For questions related to your online CEC courses or purchases, please email email@example.com.
Available Course Credits
Add this course to your cart.
You have the option to continue shopping or to proceed to checkout.
Be sure you are signed in and submit your order.
Once your transaction is complete, you will receive an email confirmation with directions for accessing your course.
To earn your CEC, you will view the course content, pass the self-test (you must earn 70% or better to pass), and print your certificate of completion.
Please note, do not change the quantity (below) for your transaction. It must remain at 1. Multiple courses cannot be purchased. Courses are not able to be assigned to anyone other than the account holder.
Discounted member price:
You could save