ACSM's 2020 International Health & Fitness Virtual Summit Video CEC: Is it Science or Sensationalism? Reading Through the Headlines to Fuel Optimal Performance
By Jim White, RDN, ACSM-EP, Ower, Jim White Fitness & Nutrition Studios, Norfolk, VA
According to the 2018 Annual Food and Health Survey conducted by the International Food Information Council (IFIC) Foundation, eight in 10 (80 percent) consumers say there is a lot of conflicting information about what foods to eat or avoid. Of those people, over half say that conflicting information makes them doubt their food choices. This session will enable attendees to read beyond the headlines and identify, translate and apply credible nutrition information for clients so that they differentiate between credible scientific evidence and sensationalism. Furthermore, this session seeks to establish an ongoing dialogue between registered dietitians/nutritionists (RDNs) and certified exercise/fitness professionals on how to better collaborate, leverage their unique and complementary skill sets, and develop systems and/or partnerships ultimately in support of improving their client’s health while helping them reach their fitness goals.
1. Recognize how to better connect with clients and communicate in ways they can understand and apply
2. Apply techniques that will help meet clients where they are while providing them a call to action
3. Recognize current and appropriate practices of personal trainers around nutrition, as well as nutrition/food perceptions/beliefs and how those are/are not passed along to clients
4. Summarize insights on scope of practice —with a specific focus on nutrition recommendations; understand how to translate the science behind nutrition's hot topics while staying within your scope of practice
5. Identify tools/methods to ensure effective RDN/personal trainer partnerships and collaboration – illustrating how clients are more successful in meeting their health/fitness goals when working with a trainer and an RDN3
This course includes an online webinar from ACSM’s Health & Fitness Virtual Summit and a corresponding online quiz.
All course content will be presented to you electronically upon completion of your purchase. This includes all webinars, quizzes, and certificates (certificates awarded upon successful completion of the quizzes).
No substitutions will be allowed for this CEC course.
For questions related to your online CEC courses or purchases, please email email@example.com.
Available Course Credits
Add this course to your cart.
You have the option to continue shopping or to proceed to checkout.
Be sure you are signed in and submit your order.
Once your transaction is complete, you will receive an email confirmation with directions for accessing your course.
To earn your CECs, you will view the course content, pass the quiz (you must earn 70% or better to pass), and print your certificate of completion.
Care has been taken to confirm the accuracy of the information present and describe generally accepted practices. ACSM expressly disclaims all liability for damages or injury of any kind arising out of information contained in this content.