ACSM's 2020 International Health & Fitness Virtual Summit Video CEC: Tradeoffs of Paleo, Gluten-Free, and Vegan Diets for Active Individuals
By Lynn Cialdella-Kam, Assistant Professor, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
Purpose: Athletes and Recreationally Active Individuals often chose to follow diets such as Paleo, Gluten Free, or Vegan Diets for perceived health and athletic performance benefits. However, improper implementation of these diets can put an individual at risk for musculoskeletal injuries, hormonal imbalance, menstrual dysfunction, and immune suppression. In addition, confusion exist regarding the true pros and cons of these diets.
1. Provide an overview on the motivations for following diets that eliminate foods or food groups and key nutritional and health concerns for the active individual.
2. Describe the basis and foods excluded for three diets (Paleo, Gluten Free, and Vegan Diets)
3. Illustrate sample menu for each diet and compare dietary composition to recommended intake based on sports nutrition guidelines
4. Describe the potential impact of these high protein and/or fiber diets on musculoskeletal, hormonal, menstrual, and immune health.
5. Summarize nutritional concerns for each diets and some tools and strategies to address these.
This course includes an online webinar from ACSM’s Health & Fitness Virtual Summit and a corresponding online quiz.
All course content will be presented to you electronically upon completion of your purchase. This includes all webinars, quizzes, and certificates (certificates awarded upon successful completion of the quizzes).
No substitutions will be allowed for this CEC course.
For questions related to your online CEC courses or purchases, please email email@example.com.
Available Course Credits
Add this course to your cart.
You have the option to continue shopping or to proceed to checkout.
Be sure you are signed in and submit your order.
Once your transaction is complete, you will receive an email confirmation with directions for accessing your course.
To earn your CECs, you will view the course content, pass the quiz (you must earn 70% or better to pass), and print your certificate of completion.
Care has been taken to confirm the accuracy of the information present and describe generally accepted practices. ACSM expressly disclaims all liability for damages or injury of any kind arising out of information contained in this content.