The EIM online course, developed with the assistance of more than 35 American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) subject matter experts, includes interactive activities, video clips and helpful prompts to take movement breaks while you’re studying. The recommendations, modifications and training tips align with the 11th edition of ACSM’s Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription, the 2018 National Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans (PAGA), national disease-specific guidelines and practical advice from practitioners in each topical area.
- Health Care Basics
- Exercise Prescription for Common Medical Conditions
- Exercise Prescription for Older Adults
- Facilitating Behavior Change – The Coach Approach
- Exercise Prescription in Special Settings
Learners are encouraged to work through the course over roughly two months, completing 2-3 hours of content weekly. A helpful review PDF of the information presented, as well as additional handouts, are included.
After completing the modules, the learner should be able to:
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of how health systems operate, explain the Exercise is Medicine® clinical-to-community integration approach, effectively communicate with health care providers, provide appropriate documentation, respect privacy and stay within their professional scope of practice;
- Understand and apply the ACSM and PAGA exercise guidelines — including the frequency, intensity, time, type and progression of physical activity (PA), including modifications and precautions — for those who are sedentary, older adults and those with hypertension, dyslipidemia, obesity, NAFLD, Metsyn, prediabetes, type 2 diabetes, osteoarthritis, low back pain and cancer;
- Understand how commonly prescribed pharmaceutical agents may affect the exercise prescription and when to refer a client/patient back to their health care provider;
- Use client/patient-centered approaches, motivational interviewing and cognitive-behavioral techniques to facilitate behavior change and adherence;
- Design an effective PA intervention for a small group of clients/patients with a common disease or cluster of conditions that require a similar PA prescription; and
- Identify advantages and challenges of using technology solutions to increase PA in patients/clients and key considerations when providing virtual exercise/PA guidance and follow-up.
Requirements for earning the EIM Credential
Learners must complete this bundle within 365 days from the date of purchase. ACSM will not offer refunds, transfers, or course credits for uncompleted courses prior to their expiration date.
ACSM does not allow substitutions, refunds or credits for this course.
For questions related to your online CEC courses or purchases, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join ACSM and save 50% on CEC quizzes by contacting our membership department at email@example.com. Membership dues updates may take a minimum of 24 hrs. to be reflected in your account.
Discounted member price:
You could save