This CEC course gives fitness professionals a greater knowledge and understanding of how to work with clients with any type of diabetes (or prediabetes), who may have special concerns or health complications to manage during activity to be able to train safely and effectively. Chances are most people know someone with diabetes, be it a friend, family member, or themselves. Fitness professionals can greatly benefit from gaining more knowledge about this disease to work with these clients, which is over one in 10 Americans with diabetes (and one in three with prediabetes).
A much-cited researcher and author of over 500 articles, 36 book chapters, and 13 books, including The Athlete's Guide to Diabetes: Expert Advice for 165 Sports and Activities, Diabetes & Keeping Fit for Dummies, and Exercise and Diabetes: A Clinician’s Guide to Prescribing Physical Activity, she founded Diabetes Motion (www.diabetesmotion.com), a free educational website, and Diabetes Motion Academy (www.dmacademy.com). She is a Fellow of ACSM (FACSM) and was recognized nationally with the 2016 ADA Outstanding Educator in Diabetes Award.
• Be able to effectively create a training routine for your diabetes clients to help them perform optimally and stay injury free.
• Master the basics about diabetes, including the types and potential complications, as well as specific concerns related to working with female clients,
• Know more about insulin resistance and the impact of exercise, as well as cardio training precautions and different types of appropriate activities.
• Understand how to work with clients with overweight or obesity, older clients with diabetes or prediabetes, youth, athletes, and other special populations.
• Comprehend the effects of oral diabetes medications, food, energy drinks, caffeine, and vitamins in people with diabetes or prediabetes, as well as insulin use.
• Master how to monitor exercise intensity, avoid exercise-related blood glucose lows, and whether to use the latest training trends with all clients.
• Be able to help your clients with diabetes or prediabetes troubleshoot their performance and optimize their exercise training.
• Fully understand the best technology and apps to use for clients with diabetes and prediabetes.
Presented by Sheri R. Colberg, PhD, FACSM
Sheri R. Colberg, PhD, FACSM, is Professor Emerita of Exercise Science from Old Dominion University and former Adjunct Professor of Internal Medicine from Eastern Virginia Medical School. A graduate of Stanford University, University of California, Davis, and Cal Berkeley, she is a globally recognized authority on diabetes and exercise (www.shericolberg.com). She has shaped diabetes physical activity guidelines for many professional organizations, including ACSM, American Diabetes Association (ADA), and Association of Diabetes Care and Education Specialists (ADCES), and Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
All course content will be presented to you electronically upon completion of your purchase. This includes the video files, quizzes and certificates (certificates awarded upon successful completion of the quiz). ACSM will not offer refunds, transfers or course credits for not completing courses prior to their expiration date or for duplicate purchases. This course expires one year after purchase date.
ACSM does not allow substitutions, refunds or credits for this course.
For questions related to your online CEC courses or purchases, email email@example.com.
Join ACSM and save up to 50% on CEC quizzes by contacting our membership department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Membership dues updates may take a minimum of 24 hrs. to be reflected in your account.
Discounted member price:
You could save