The ACSM-ACS Cancer Exercise Specialist Course is for healthcare and fitness practitioners looking to provide safe, effective and individualized exercise programs to anyone living with or beyond a cancer diagnosis.
Why This Course?
Currently, there are approximately 18 million cancer survivors in the U.S., and according to the National Cancer Institute that number is expected to increase to 20.3 million by 2026. Cancer treatments result in many acute, chronic or late-appearing toxicities that can negatively impact the quality of life of those living with and beyond a cancer diagnosis. Over the past two decades, convincing evidence has emerged on the ability of exercise and physical activity programs to provide significant physical and psychological benefits, reduce many cancer treatment side effects, and potentially reduce the risk of cancer recurrence.
The American College of Sports Medicine® (ACSM) Cancer Exercise Trainer certification program has now been revised and expanded, in partnership with the American Cancer Society (ACS) and CanRehab®. This new ACSM-ACS Cancer Exercise Specialist Course is designed to increase the number of competent practitioners able to provide advice and deliver safe, effective and individualized exercise and physical activity programs based on the most current evidence.
Who should take this course?
- Certified fitness professionals, especially those holding Exercise Physiologist (ACSM-EP®) and Clinical Exercise Physiologist (ACSM-CEP®) certifications
- ACSM members
- Allied health professionals, including physical therapists and their assistants, rehabilitation therapists, nurses and nurse practitioners, physicians and physician assistants who specialize in working with clients with cancer
A bachelor’s degree in exercise science or related field or equivalent is highly recommended.
At the completion of this certificate course, participants will be able to do the following:
- Understand the basics of cancer biology, epidemiology, cancer classification and screening for the most common cancers
- Understand the names and procedures involved in the current treatments for the most prevalent cancers including surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, hormonal treatment, immunotherapy and biological targeted treatments
- Understand the acute, chronic and late-appearing side effects and toxicities of cancer treatments and their impacts on exercise prescription
- Understand the strength of the evidence on the benefits of exercise training during the cancer trajectory, with reference to clinical outcomes and specific treatment related outcomes
- Understand how to screen clients using a triage system, assess fitness levels and stratify risk to provide individual and safe exercise prescriptions
- Understand the current behavior change techniques, barriers and incentives that are proven to help motivate people affected by cancer to become or stay active
- Understand practical programming and communication factors to consider when working with patients and survivors of cancer
All course content will be presented electronically upon completion of purchase. The learning content is delivered over 12 modules. Each module is comprised of a series of short videos with subject matter experts presenting each topic. Integrated throughout the ACSM-ACS Cancer Exercise Specialist Course are several features designed to further the student’s breadth and depth of knowledge. Each module starts with learning objectives, and within each module there are interactive quizzes to provide ongoing feedback to the student. Additionally, 12 case studies of clients based on real life scenarios are included. Students will refer to these case studies in selected quizzes. At the end of each module, the student can test their knowledge with multiple-choice questions.
The ACSM-ACS Cancer Exercise Specialist certificate is awarded upon successful completion of the final summative multiple-choice final exam.
This course expires one year (365 days) from the date of purchase. ALL course content must be completed prior to the expiration date. ACSM will not offer refunds, transfers or course credits for uncompleted courses prior to their expiration date, or for duplicate purchases. ACSM does not allow substitutions, refunds or credits for this course.
ACSM's educational certificates in specialized fields empower exercise professionals to effectively address unique considerations in their practice. These certificates validate the completion of advanced training, enhancing career opportunities by showcasing expertise to employers and the communities they support.
For questions related to your online CEC courses or purchases, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Discounted member price:
You could save